What is Rhinoplasty?
Your nose can be the single feature that with the most significant impact on your appearance. Rhinoplasty is the surgery to change or alter the structure of your nose. It is commonly known as a “nose job.”
What Types of Rhinoplasty Can be Performed?
- Closed Rhinoplasty is minimally invasive. Your surgeon will make an incision inside the nose so there is no visible scar across the columella (the vertical piece of skin that separates the nostrils). This provides better access to the interior of the nasal passages.
- Open Rhinoplasty allows more access to the bone structure, and in turn, will leave some scar tissue and possibly a small scar at the base of the nose.
Although there are two methods, Dr. Grigoryants prefers closed rhinoplasty for most patients. Since the nasal skin is not is not lifted, as in the case with an open rhinoplasty, there is no visible scar after the procedure.
What Rhinoplasty Techniques Are Used to Improve Air Flow?
- Septoplasty is the surgery to correct a deviated septum. The surgery will enable the septum to be placed right back in the middle where it belongs. The technique restores the airflow capacity of each nostril, making it easier to breathe.
- The turbinate is a long structure in the nose that is parallel to the passage of air. When enlarged, it can hinder the passage of air. Turbinate reduction reduces the size and restores the flow of air.
- Spreader grafts are used to reconstruct an internal nasal valve that may have deteriorated. The grafts are made from the patient’s septum cartilage and are important to prevent mid-nasal collapse as well as restore airflow through the nose.
What Should I Expect Immediately Following Rhinoplasty Surgery?
It is important that you are as comfortable as possible. At the conclusion of your surgery, a long-acting numbing agent will be applied to ensure you leave you comfortable and pain-free. A splint will be placed on your nose to protect the area; it should be worn for one week. You will notice swelling and slight bruising, with a stuffy nose for a few days. This is normal.
What is the Recovery Time for Rhinoplasty?
Rhinoplasty surgery is a relatively simple procedure. However, it is still surgery and you will need time to heal. Each patient is different, but typically, Dr. Grigoryants recommends as many as seven to ten days following surgery to rest and allow the swelling to reduce.
What Can I Do or Not Do During the First Few Days After Rhinoplasty?
- To reduce swelling and provide a bit more comfort, sleep with your head elevated.
- When brushing your teeth, be careful not to jostle your upper lip.
- Try to minimize any facial movements.
- Ice is important and can help reduce swelling.
- You should take baths in an effort to keep the bandages dry.
- Softer foods will help with chewing.
- Do not blow your nose.
- Talk to Dr. Grigoryants before resuming any exercise program.
- No glasses or sunglasses.
How Do I Find the Best Rhinoplasty Surgeon?
When considering any surgery, it is important to get different opinions from at least two different surgeons. Good questions to ask yourself include:
- Do I like the results I can see in images of the surgeon’s previous patients?
- Are the results natural looking?
- How many rhinoplasty surgeries does the surgeon perform in a year?
- Am I comfortable with the surgeon and does he take the time to address all of my questions and concerns?
- Are the surgeon and the facility fully licensed?
Why Choose Dr. Vladimir Grigoryants for your Rhinoplasty?
Who you choose to do your cosmetic procedure will have a direct impact on the outcome. Dr. Vladimir Grigoryants is an award-winning, board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in cosmetic surgery of the body and face. Located in Verdugo Hills Hospital in Glendale, Dr. Grigoryants takes the time to get to know his patients and is dedicated to producing results that bring about a higher level of self-confidence and joy of living.
Can Rhinoplasty Help Me Breathe Better?
For many, breathing has always been a struggle, whether it’s from a deviated septum or other nasal defects or abnormalities. With Rhinoplasty, Dr. Grigoryants can open the nasal airways and restore your ability to breathe freely and naturally.
How Do I Know if I am a Good Candidate for Rhinoplasty?
When deciding on any cosmetic surgery, it is important to consider all of your options. Make sure you are making the choice for you, not because another person urges you to do it. Be fully informed on what to expect in recovery and final appearance. Dr. Grigoryants is one of the top rhinoplasty surgeons in the area and will answer your questions and go over all of your options so you can make an informed decision.
How Involved is Rhinoplasty Surgery?
Rhinoplasty is completed on a same-day basis. It can be done using general anesthesia, or intravenous sedation. Options vary depending on the technique used. Most patients report little or no pain after surgery, and the discomfort is easily controlled with mild pain medication.